pwsh and openssh on windows


to install powershell either download the zip/msi from github page or you can install thru chocolatey. But I preferred going with msi file for now.

The claim is that you can run powershell core side-by-side, which is not a requirement for me- but wanted to move over to it for some time now.

Anyway, I installed this in C:\PowerShell\6.0.1 directory & added it to Path environment variable on the machine- so is accessible to all uesrs.

[Read More]

git diff

By default git usually launches vimdiff for diffs and merges, but I would rather prefer kdiff3 gui for merges/diffs. Here are some of my notes about how to set it up.

For a detailed list of options that git diff supports visit this link

git supports various tools for merge and diff, here is a partial list: - kdiff3 & documentation - tkdiff - meld - vimdiff - gvimdiff

You can setup kdiff3 by default as diff tool by executing follow command:

git config --global diff.tool kdiff3

for other tools see here: Viewing all git diffs with vimdiff

[Read More]

gpg signing github commits

With git it is easy to overwrite someone as author or commit as someone else. Then how do you know it was someone who committed the changes? That’s where the gpg signing comes into picture.

this is my first gpg signed post

One thing to note is that once you have generated gpg keys from git bash then you can’t use them from windows command prompt. I found it rather handy to install gnugpg and then generating keys with gpg. One thing i had to setup explicitly is to tell git where to find gpg so it asks me passcode . Anyway the command is:

git config --global gpg.program "C:\GnuPG\bin\gpg.exe"

A few links of interest around this topic:

  1. Why-does-GitHub-let-me-commit-as-other-people
  2. GPG-signing-for-git-commit
  3. A git horror story: Repository Integrity With Signed Commits

Anyway the most interesting is this:

[Read More]

Tweaking Hugo Summary

One of the things I find quite annoying with hugo is it auto summary feature. While it is quite handy to limit content on main page as it is- but it’s default limit of 70 characters adds more to improvement.

To top that it messes up all the formatting:

One of the work arounds I have found is to use <!-- more -->, content summaries, to control what sort of summary will be generated, but it still the same that you have in page.

Often I would like to have a short note for the content, which is not part of the content itself. Something like this:

[Read More]